Air travel can be a daunting and stressful task. Navigating through the terminals, delays, security checks and long layovers can leave you exhausted enough to even think about healthy food. But, today food at the airport has come a long way. There are many healthy food options easily available at terminals today.
You need to plan ahead to make sure you eat healthy food at the airport. Read on for some useful tips on food at the airport from our founder Mary who has devised a method to keep herself healthy while traveling!
When you are planning your air travel, make sure that you look at all the options that may be available to you at the airport. Look for eating options where you can build your own meal, like, a make-to-order sandwich with more greens and proteins or opt for a salad.
Go for healthy protein to compliment your carb intake. You can always find something like a Greek yogurt parfait that is not only healthy but will also keep you full. If possible avoid eating desserts and fried foods completely.
Here are some things to remember when you are at the airport or on an airplane.
Healthy Food At The Airport
- In an airport restaurant, always go for fresh food and avoid fried stuff. Try to avoid food that sounds healthy like salad but are covered with high-fat toppings.
- Go for single serving eating options like a protein bar, hummus and yogurt.
- If you see a bagel shop, then go for a skinny bagel that uses cream cheese with low-fat.
- When at a coffee shop, go for a side of fruit instead of a pastry.
- When at a fast food corner, go for something like the plain baked potato, grilled chicken salad or sandwiches without extra sauce.
Airport food is not what it was 20 years ago. It offers food that is healthy and there are always options you can binge on if you care the least. If you are pressed for time, then pick up a snack or a banana on your way. Bananas always work while traveling.